Thursday, October 31, 2013

Walter is dead long live Daryl

  My two favorite TV characters from the past few years are Walter White and Daryl Dixon. The main reason for this is the superb acting.

  Unless you've been living in a cave and have no WiFi, you've at least heard of the two AMC shows that feature these two characters.

  Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead are two of the best shows to come out in a long while in my opinion. They are both well acted and produced. At times I didn't care for the way either story was going, but I still enjoyed watching. There were a few episodes of Breaking Bad that just didn't seem to go anywhere. The whole "Quest for Sophia" thing in The Walking Dead dragged on a bit too far. Even so, I've thoroughly enjoyed both shows.

  One important thing that both shows have in common. They are both character driven. I believe that the two characters that do the most driving are Walter White And Daryl Dixon.

  Bryan Cranston did an excellent job portraying Walter. The transformation from the mild mannered chemistry teacher to Heisenberg was awe inspiring. Cranston's ability to portray emotion completes the package. He won three well deserved Emmy Awards along the way. I was sad that the show ended, but it is one of the very few that I think ended correctly. Walter White will be remembered for a long time to come.

  Norman Reedus does an equally fine job playing Daryl. I like this character's toughness, ability and loyalty. Reedus has succeeded in making Daryl evolve into a highly trusted member of the group. The last scene with his brother Merle was powerful and highly believable. I think that Daryl would make a better leader than Rick. I do like Rick, but I see him getting weaker where as Daryl just keeps getting stronger. I do hope that Daryl survives.

  I'm sad that Walter is gone, but I'm happy that Daryl is doing just fine. Long after both shows are gone, these two Characters will still be talked about. Meanwhile, I have high hopes for Better Call Saul.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Welcome